Reporting Accidents at Work

 Accidents at Work

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) (UK)

NB for Northern Ireland, The USA See Links at the end of this post.

All injuries, incidents, and dangerous occurrences at work involving employees or members of the public must be reported and recorded ans Accident Book which is located in the Site office.

The following must be reported under RIDDOR

  • Deaths- (Reported immediately) 0845 300 99 23
  • Major injuries to be (reported immediately) 0845 300 99 23

Reportable major injuries are:

  • Fracture, other than to fingers, thumbs and toes;
  • Amputation;
  • Dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spine;
  • Loss of sight (temporary or permanent);
  • Chemical or hot metal burn to the eye or any penetrating injury to the eye;
  • Injury resulting from an electric shock or electrical burn leading to unconsciousness, or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours;
  • Any other injury: leading to hypothermia, heat-induced illness or unconsciousness; or requiring resuscitation; or requiring admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours;
  • Unconsciousness caused by asphyxia or exposure to harmful substance or biological agent;
  • Acute illness requiring medical treatment, or loss of consciousness arising from absorption of any substance by inhalation, ingestion or through the skin;
  • Acute illness requiring medical treatment where there is reason to believe that this resulted from exposure to a biological agent or its toxins or infected material.over-3-day injuries – where an employee or self-employed person is away from work or unable to perform their normal work duties for more than 3 consecutive days;injuries to members of the public or people not at work where they are taken from the scene of an accident to hospital;
  • some work-related diseases;
  • dangerous occurrences – where something happens that does not result in an injury, but could have done;
  • CORGI (gas safe) registered gas fitters must also report dangerous gas fittings they find, and gas conveyors/suppliers must report some flammable gas incidents.

RIDDOR applies to all work activities but not all incidents are reportable. If someone has had an accident in a work situation where you are in charge, and you are unsure whether to report it just call the Incident Contact Centre (ICC) on 0845 300 99 23.

The form to use is F2508 available from HSE

Please note that the system will be updated in the UK from October 2013, the changes are mainly to the list of reportable injuries.

The changes are noted here:


For Northern Ireland Please read this guide:-

For OSHA in the USA:-