This is an example of a Method Statement for bricklaying.
Project Name: Project Number:
Work Activity: Brick laying Work Location:
Date: Reference Number:
Prepared by: Approved by:
To Complete Bricklaying work to the required line, level and elevations as per Architect & Design Drawings.
Welfare and First Aid:
Main Contractor site cabins with wc and washing facilities, with Main Contractor first aid box/first aiders
1. Use of Mechanical means where possible.
2. Use and continual use of PPE.
3. Good house keeping practices.
4. Continual inspection of plant and tools.
Health, Safety and Environmental Assessments:
RA001- Manual Handling
RA002- Use of Cement Mixer
RA003- Dermatitis and Burns from Cement
RA005-Abrasive Wheels CO001- COSHH Assessment Cement
CO002- COSHH Assessment Silica Dust
The works will be supervised by
All Staff have received training in the required works
Initially 3 increasing as per contact workload
Plant / Equipment:
Mechanical Block Cutter/splitter
All Terrain Forklift ( If Required)
Telescopic (telehandler) vehicle(If Required)
Electric Hoist (Genie)If Required
Trestles and boards
Laser Level if Required
1. All drawings will be studied and understood before works commence.
2. Lines and levels to be set out by competent person.(Datum’s marked where possible)
3. Materials will be stacked as close as possible to the working area.
4. Brick and block work, wall ties, damp proof membranes, cavity details will be in accordance with Architectural and/or engineers drawings.
5. Bricks, Blocks and Mortar will be supplied to the Bricklayers by experienced workers (hod carriers) the materials will be positioned in a manner to reduce the manual handling requirements.
6. Mortar will be used in accordance with the design specification.
7. Mortar will be mixed on site and measured to ensure consistency.
8. Trestles and boards will be used where required for as short a term as possible, these will be checked before, during and after use.
9. A telescopic forklift (If Available or required) vehicle will be used to transport and place materials onto loading platforms. (These will be constructed by others and will be trained scaffolders)
10. Line and level will be continually checked during works.
11. All surplus/broken materials will be removed from the working areas to ensure continual housekeeping as part of our safe systems of work.
The Supervisor will have a mobile phone available to summon assistance.
This method statement will be the subject of a toolbox talk given to all personnel involved with the work activity.
NEW- We have released a full Brick and Block laying Pack of Method statement, Risk Assessments and COSHH Assessments available HERE now.