For 2017/2018 In The UK Falls from height accounted for 48% of fatal injuries to workers.
The main areas where falls occurred were:-
- Falling From Height (Scaffolding and Scaffold Towers)
- Falls from mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPS)
- Falls from Ladders
- Falls when working on roofs or other structures
- Falling through Fragile Roofs
- Tools/materials falling from MEWPS or scaffolding
How should risks be assessed? The Health and Safety Executive state that:-
AVOID work at height if you can. (If you cannot then:-)
PREVENT falls by selecting and using the right access equipment and
MINIMISE the impact of any fall.
Basically if you are unable to avoid working at height then you can use work equipment to reduce the height and impact of any fall.
We have an example and fully editable Risk Assessment for working at height http://www.method-statement-template.info/risk-assessments/work-at-height-risk-assessment