All accidents, incidents and near misses must be investigated, This checklist is a useful tool to aid investigations.
Checklist for accident or incident Investigations
Investigate safety events using the standard checklist detailed below.
Note: In the table below, the term ‘event’ will be used to indicate ‘accident, incident or near miss’.
- What level of job training had been provided?
- How was competency assessed?
- What did the risk assessment identify in regard to areas of special need?
- What other factors may have impacted on work performance?
- Who was supervising the task?
- What steps had the supervisor taken to ensure the task would be safely performed?
- What instructions had the supervisor given to those involved?
- What training had the supervisor received in giving out instructions to safely perform the task?
The safe work practice
- Was was a safe work method statement written for this task?
- What information does it include?
- What information is missing from it?
- What evidence is available that the person(s) involved had been trained in the procedure?
- How was it being complied with?
- What personal protective equipment was available?
- How was it used?
- How often is a risk assessment conducted on this task?
Plant, equipment and substances
- What was the plant, equipment and other items or substances being used to produce?
- How were they being operated?
- How were plant and equipment failures dealt with?
- What type of exposure(s) were involved? (e.g chemical, thermal, radiation, biological etc.)?
- When was the last time plant, equipment or other substances had a risk assessment?
- What controls were identified in this assessment?
- How often was equipment and plant maintained?
The workplace itself
What affect did the following have on the event?
- Workplace layout and design
- Dust and fumes