Chemicals and dangerous substances are known to cause diseases and health complications if the correct safety precautions are not taken when workers are exposed to them.
Sample hazardous substances checklist
- A hazardous substances policy is in place?
- Management is committed to the objectives of the policy?
- Sufficient resources have been provided to ensure that the objectives of the policy are met?
- Staffs at all levels are aware of, and understand, the policy?
- A purchasing system is in place to vet the introduction of new hazardous substances?
- A system is in place to ensure that all hazardous substances in the workplace are appropriately labelled?
- A system is in place to ensure that material safety data sheets are obtained for all hazardous substances?
- A hazardous substances register is in place, properly maintained and accessible to relevant employees and their supervisors?
- Emergency and first aid arrangements are in place for dealing with incidents involving hazardous substances?
- Relevant employees and their supervisors are consulted on health and safety issues related to the use of hazardous substances in the workplace?
- Risk management is undertaken for all hazardous substances and related processes, and the hazardous substances management program is regularly monitored and reviewed?
- Workplace monitoring is undertaken where necessary and appropriate control measures are instituted where potential problems are identified?
- Health surveillance is undertaken where necessary and appropriate control measures are instituted where potential problems are identified?
- All relevant employees and their supervisors receive appropriate information, training and supervision to ensure the safe use of hazardous substances in the workplace?
- A system is in place to ensure that all accidents, incidents and near misses involving hazardous substances are reported, investigated and recorded, and that appropriate corrective measures are implemented?
- Records of risk assessment, control measures, workplace monitoring and health surveillance are kept for the duration required by local regulations?
- Systems are in place to ensure the safe and proper disposal of hazardous substances and related waste?
This Hazardous Substances Checklist is extracted from our Health and Safety Manual