Employees are responsible for:
- Ensuring they comply with the occupational health and safety policy, the Occupational Health and Safety Management Plan and all company safe work practices.
- Ensuring the safety of themselves and others in the workplace.
- Immediately reporting any unsafe condition, dangerous occurrence or injury to their supervisor.
- Ensuring they are able to competently and safely perform any work they undertake.
Sample employees’ key duties checklist
Do new employees participate in induction training?
Do employees participate in training where special permits are required, eg crane operation, first aid, and forklift driving?
Do employees participate in ongoing training to keep up with new systems and procedures, eg changes to regulations, changes to codes of practice and changes to standards of operations?
Are employees consulted in the process of developing organizational systems and procedures?
Does the organization have a procedure that entitles employees to refuse to perform any work which is perceived to be unsafe or not to conform with any statutory authority’s regulations?
Do employees use relevant PPE, such as eye, hearing, foot, hand or other PPE, and do they comply with its requirements?
Are employees aware of their duty to comply with special permit conditions, e.g. crane operation and forklift driving and first aid, and other special permits as required by legislation?
Are employees performing only those tasks for which they were trained and qualified?
Do employees seek medical assistance for every injury at work, no matter how minor?
Are there any cases of employees affecting the health and safety of others, at work by:
- Smoking in a confined area shared by non- smoking workmates?
- Becoming intoxicated?
- Tampering with any safety devices, eg making machine guarding inoperative?
- Creating hazards at work, eg creating trip and fall hazards by not properly maintaining housekeeping?
Do employees comply with all work systems and procedures?
Are accidents occurring as a result of not following instructions?
Are employees reporting all accidents/incidents regardless of the cause and severity of injury?