All building sites should be inspected on a daily basis by the site Manager/Supervisor, However a full site safety Inspection should be carried out on a weekly basis.
The Site Manager/Contracts Manager should carry out the inspection and any problem areas should be reported and fixed when found rather than when his or her report is issued.
Its a good idea to involve all levels of site staff as part of the site inspection, and subsequent safety meetings as it will be useful to gain information from the general workers who may have issues with site safety that they would normally not report.
This list is a guide, each site will have varied work areas but in general this checklist should be useful for any site.
Fencing & Site Security
- Gates/Entry Points/Security Staff
- Haul roads in good order
- Loading/Unloading Areas designated and signed
- Barriers/Guard Rails
- Storage Areas used correctly and adequately signed
- Secured Stacking
- Staff and Visitor Parking
- Machine Guards in Place
Plant & Equipment
- Lifting equipment/slings/chains
- General Plant Including Excavators, Dumpers etc.
- Tools (Hand, Power) 110V/RCD’s used.
- Extension Cables/Hoses (Checked for damage)
- Scaffolding/Working Platforms/ Mobile Elevated Platforms (Edge Protection) Should be inspected by a trained and experienced person.
- All Tanks Checked/Stored in Designated Fenced Secure Areas Away From Potential Heat/Fire
- Waste segregated into skips (skips have signs indicating type of waste)
- Spill kits (Emergency procedures for Spills in Place with Designated Trained Staff)
- Refuelling of plant (with Designated Trained Staff)
- Fuel tanks bunded
- Drip trays (Ensure that all mechanical plant have drip trays in place/check if rain or other water has filled the trays/ check for abnormal oil/fuel in trays indicating plant problems.
- Noise (Monitoring System In Place)
- Dust ( Suppression Systems In Place)
- Mud (wheel wash system in place if required)
- Hazardous substances (designated safe and secure storage)
- Site and surrounding areas are free from waste and litter
- Welfare and office areas are clean/ Drinking Water/ Toilets
- Excavations are supported and fenced (trench boxes where required)
- Designated pedestrian areas are in place/signed/barrier fencing
- Personal Protective Equipment & Clothing worn by all staff
- Safe Work Procedures are in use
- Supervision (Adequate Supervision of all trades)
- First Aid Facilities (First Aiders have been designated)
- Fire Fighting Equipment (Trained persons available)
For Building and Construction Related Method Statements, Risk Assessments, Safety Policies and Manuals Visit our dedicated store HERE