Some general risk reduction measures that should be taken when slinging loads.
All Lifting equipment should be checked and an Inspection Record kept.
Risk Reduction can be achieved by:-
- Slinger/Signaler must assess all loads for size, shape, weight, and the Centre of Gravity
- The correct lifting tackle must be selected to match the load type and size.
- Ensure all lifting accessories are clearly identifiable with the SWL (safe working load) clearly marked and if required colour coded.
- All accessories must have a current thorough examination certificate and copies held on site.
- All accessories must be inspected before use; any damaged items to be taken out of service and removed.
- Accessories must be securely attached and the SWL must not be exceeded, the lifting vehicle, crane or excavator for example to have the SWL clearly marked.
- Only trained and competent persons to sling and unsling all loads
- Chains and ropes must not have joints or knots, and under no circumstances should equipment not made for the purpose used.
- All lifts under constant supervision and control of qualified Slinger/Signaler who should wear a colored HI-Vis vest or jacket that clearly identifies him.